this minnesota wild blog says...

Thursday, December 17, 2009

Access denied


The issue of the Minnesota Wild handing out game-day credentials to bloggers creeps into the NHL blogsphere every now and then. It is almost a right of passage that a blogger will seek out the press box, in some markets gaining access, and in others being denied. But it seems that this years debate had a Wild flavor to it and took a turn for the worst, as the heat was turned up a bit when a recent rift broke out between two bloggers over this topic. The short version was basically finger pointing by one blogger as to why, using the other blogger as an example, blogs are not given press access in certain markets.

Hockey Wilderness, which covers our Wild, fired the opening shot in this not so friendly discussion against a blog at KuklasKorner, Able to Yzerman, which by the title would indicate it being a Detroit Red Wings blog but since I have only read a few posts I can't say for sure. What I can say is that this battle quickly turned nasty, complete with name-calling, profanity, and allegedly some threats directed towards Hockey Wilderness, run by BReynolds. The threats were denied by Able to Yzerman and the main blogger there IwoCPO. You will have to head in both directions to read the trashy posts yourself, as I don't want to get into a blow-by-blow account of the happenings. However, be sure to check out the apology from our Wild guy, as it seems to offer a hint of regret that he chose that particular blog to pick on.

Now if I read the initial post accurately, the main issue and crux of the argument laid out as to why the Wild do not offer press box seats to bloggers is simply bad writing, including grammar, and lack of objectivity by the writer. That is where Able to Yzerman enters the debate because apparently that blog violates the above issues and is seen as an example of why teams like the Wild don't offer credentials to bloggers. Now I really don't know enough about what the Wild media relations folks use as a guideline when deciding who gets a seast in the Al Shaver Press Box, but I will say that this blog did inquire about obtaining single game credentials but was promptly denied.

So without pointing fingers and dragging the whole debate between these two blogs into this post, the question really should be what are the reasons behind the Wild denying access to non-mainstream media such as fan blogs (and I am using the term media loosely in relation to fan blogs)? The obvious answer is that if it were that simple, everybody would grab a blog and want access. But lets face it, publishing a blog alone does not make a blogger qualified to cover a professional sports team. And even if bloggers were given access, how different would their posts be and how would that benefit the Wild & readers? I know of at least one blogger who I believe has full-season credentials with the Wild. Brad Ratgen, who covers the the team at HockeyBuzz.com, does sit above for most home games (and he manages to slip that in with every post). However...no offense to Ratgen..his game story posts are bland and nondescript. If I want a recap I head on over to the professionals, like Michael Russo, who is one talented writer for the Star Tribune. And as for his non-game story and opinion pieces, the Buzz is usually off the mark in my opinion, and offers nothing more from the press box than could have been offered from home.

Which brings me to a point...the majority bloggers are not professionals, even the ones masked by a big network of blogs. Most are fans that have a passion about a particular team and are also motivated and have the desire to publish an opinion for all to see. There are good blogs and bad blogs, with good writers and bad writers. Are there talented bloggers out there that should have access to the Wild? I am sure there are. Would I like to be one of them? Yes I would. But that does not mean I am qualified. In fact, I am not sure what I would do if given game-day credentials. While I do understand the argument for allowing non-mainstream media access to the Wild (again, using the term media loosely), I don't agree with how our friend at Hockey Wilderness went about making it. The unfortunate part is that he did not help the cause with his post.

2 comments:

BReynolds said...

Hey there. BReynolds from Hockey Wilderness here. I thought I would stop by after reading and just correct a few issues. I do not want to rehash the entire debate, nor start a debate with you. I like your work.

First off, I do not run Hockey Wilderness, Nathan does. I am a contributor to it. That is a minor point, but an important one.

The next point is this. You mention that you have not had the conversation with the PR guys about why they do not credential bloggers. I have. Several times. They have many, many reasons for not issuing creds, but one of the big ones is that they do not want to issue creds and have the blog turn out to be one of the same vein of A2Y, which is self-admittedly a place for juvenile behavior (their words, not mine).

Other reasons include the lack of accountability for bloggers. If a blogger does something stupid, they have no boss to call and discuss the issue with.

The next is that there are just so many blogs, there would never be enough seats, nor enough room in the locker room and press conference areas to fit them all.

While I regret my choice of words in my second post, and in the comments area with certain people, I do not regret the original post. The discussion could easily have stayed civil, as it has every other time I have criticized the writing or opinions of other bloggers.

Heck, most of them even convinced me that what they were doing, or their specific opinion that day was the correct one.

My apologies were for the choice of words, and that I allowed the behavior of others to drag me down and allow the conversation to devolve into a childish joke.

I will take the blame, as I did fire the opening shot, but I certainly hope that anyone who reads through the entire conversation notes the timing of comments and can put together the full time line.

The question you need to ask yourself then, is how many times can I be called a dirty word or have bigoted words used against me before I break?

Then you will understand a bit of where I was coming from after the original post.

I have admitted my fault in the matter. I do not regret the original post, only where the conversation headed, and the way I behaved during the ensuing scrum.

I do not know your name, or I would issue this thank you directly, but thank you for actually putting your opinion in a public area (ie, the front page of your blog). There have been a couple people in our community that chose to insult me and did not have the courage to do so in an area in which I could respond.

I appreciate you being part of the conversation.

As I said, I do not want to rehash the entire argument, I just wanted to at least try to clarify where I am at the moment.

Also, if you would like, I would be more than willing to share the conversations I had with the Wild PR staff, or at least the highlights of them with you via email. They were off the record, so there is no tape or notes I have to go back to, but I remember most of them.

There is a link to my email at the bottom of HW.

Thanks.

Bryan "Buddha" Reynolds

tVelin said...

Thanks for stopping by and clarifying a few points. I also thank you for the kind words and want to let you know that I also enjoy what you guys do over at Hockey Wilderness.

As for the recent debate...yeah, it got ugly and I do not want to reopen it to the extent that it got anyway. I do give you credit for standing your ground, however I got lost and disinterested when profanity and such was being slung...not really my thing and very counterproductive. To answer your question regarding how far you can be pushed, at that breaking point I would have simply deleted the trash and profanity. My rule here is if there is a hint of obscene and/or profanity either in the comment section or on my boards, it gets deleted, plain and simple. Luckily (I guess) I don't get the traffic so it has been a non-issue for me.

I have had a very brief email exchange with the Wild regarding credentials and as I posted, it was promptly denied. However, I did not ask any detailed questions as I pretty much new the answers...and you reaffirmed what I believed to be true as to why the team does not allow access for bloggers. And I am ok with that. Yeah, it would be nice from time to time, but I honestly don't have the time to attend many games anyway. But I will continue doing what I am doing and maybe some day I will have that opportunity to take the next step.

Thanks again for stopping by and giving your side...and BTW, I have been in the press box twice for Wild games...don't let them fool you, there are plenty of empty chairs up there.