this minnesota wild blog says...

Friday, January 8, 2010

Distant notes...


Let the amateur's play

I take on perhaps a throwback attitude on this issue. It's not that I don't like the event or seeing the greatest athletes in the sport of hockey compete, it something else. Possibly it is a sense that I get that makes the event less pure with professionals involved. But for whatever reasons, the events that unfolded in February of 1980 will undoubtedly go down as my most memorable sporting event ever witnessed. And because of that Miracle On Ice, it has forever shaped my view on how the Winter Olympic hockey events have played out ever since. My opinion is simple...when the NHL suspended its league games to allow players to play for their respective countries in 1998, the change tainted my view of the event. But then again, my Winter Olympics viewing is more highlighted by events rarely seen without these games, including the bobsled, super giant slalom, and even the ski jumping. True, one of my true passions is hockey. But seeing a country-sided event that includes mostly NHL stars, it seems to me to be better suited for some kind of World Junior Tournament, without the 'Junior' that is separate from the Olympic Games.

It did not matter that I did not see the games in person, or even on live television for that matter. The fact that most people knew the final scores of the games played by the US squad before watching them on tape-delayed television was irrelevant. It just happened to be that at this time in history, the team and its games took on a greater meaning, one that will probably never be repeated. It was like the perfect storm. I was a pee-wee at the time of the XIII Olympic Winter Games, as they were called, so the outside events of the world were not on my radar. The fact that the team was coached by our own Herb Brooks, a legend in our state, may have played a role in my interest. But even more intriguing to me was the fact that my own Golden Gophers had a hand in the teams success, as the Olympic hockey team had 9 maroon and gold players rostered, not to mention the 3 additional native Minnesotans. It made it feel as if the team and all of its glory was a Minnesota thing, rather than that of the whole country. Most of all though, I was one of those rink-rats who soaked up the game wherever and whenever I could and I was aware of what the Olympics were.

I certainly love the NHL product. It employs the best hockey players in the world and one could make an argument that it also showcases the best athletes in the world. That is a different subject, but one quick example: most can throw and catch a baseball, but can they shoot a puck at full speed while being checked into the boards? Anyway, the NHL, although has miles of room for improvements, is the best hockey league in the world. The fact is that the product does not get any better when you have all of that talent on one sheet of ice. Still, to me it is just another tournament, instead of the great event that it once was. No, I am not anti-patriotic and that has no place in my thoughts. I stand behind Old Glory just as much as the next American. For you Minnesotans, you will understand this analogy...but I liken it to the move by MSHL to add separate classes to the State Hockey Tournament. The circumstances and particulars are different in this comparison, but the results are the same. The tournament simply takes on a different meaning.

There is no mistaking the fact that the Olympics in general is a new beast compared to what it once was. It has become the 'cash-cow' starter for many athletes and is no longer an amateur event, for hockey or any other sport. You can thank the American media for that. I guess that is OK but to many including myself, the games are not seen in the same 'purity' as they once were, and as I believe, they should be. As for hockey, I do not blame the players or the NHL. In fact, I commend them for their willingness to risk their careers in order to play for their country. And I will always back the league when it comes to promoting itself and the game because they don't always do this in the best light. I do wonder to myself however, how much the NHL games suffer in Olympic years because of the condensed schedules and league shut-down. But these are secondary issues to date, because we have the current system in place. The future agreements between the league and NHLPA will dictate whether or not that continues. If I had my way, I would let the amateurs play...in the same way that I would recruit
stability & integrity over skill if I were coaching a college team (insert Gophers basketball and/or football). In the end, I would be willing to sacrifice wins with the outside chance of pulling off an upset, rather than possibly jeopardizing the integrity and spirit of the Olympic Games.

Never on time


The Minnesota Wild have a nasty habit this season of giving up the games opening goal more often than not...to tune that translates into a .357 winning percentage, by NHL standards, when they surrender the games first goal. When Minnesota manages to score the first goal of a game, something that has happened in 16 games, they have found success and have posted a 11-4-1 record. But the norm has been for the Wild to play catch-up and has allowed its opponent to take the lead in 28 games out of 44 played to date. And in those 28 games, a 10-16-2 record is what they have to show for being tardy.

Falling behind in a game should not come as easily as it does for any hockey team. One would expect a something close to a 50-50 split between taking and giving up the games first goal, which historically has been the case with the Wild. So, if one compares this to the average working Joe (or Jane), you could come to the conclusion that the players wearing the Minnesota uniform this season have a problem with starting work on time. That's right, plain and simple, this team is made up of a bunch of players who punch in late. There can be no other explanation because surely a team cannot justify falling behind in over 63% of their games any way other than to say that they did not show up and start working when they were supposed to.

In the real world, an employee who is late for work over half of their scheduled time, a pink slip is usually forwarded to them.

Message boards now open

That is right, the new and improved Wild-Puck forum is now accepting new members. Truth be told, the forum is not new, but does have one of the easiest and best formats out there...so dive on in and take a peek. I promise that the registration process is painless and simple and everything you see and read is family friendly. By registering and participating you can help start great Wild, NHL, or off-topic discussions. You can find all of the official releases as well as new information on our minor league club, the Houston Aeros. And if your into amateur hockey, high school and such, you can get start topics there discussing your favorite team.

On a personal note...and I am not into begging but I am getting desperate...and really tired of posting to myself, so please give our boards a try!

Wild-Puck [Minnesota Wild Message Boards]

No comments: